Day 12: Advice for Newbie Bloggers
(Be Yoda. Share your secrets. Do or do not, there is no try.)
I’ve been blogging for about 4 or 5 years now and I still think of myself as a newbie blogger! However, I have learned a lot along this journey in the blogging sphere of the Internet. Here are my top tricks and tips for blogging:
- Be polite!
- Always be nice to whoever you are talking with online; whether that be publishers, authors, or even within your reviews, keep your comments polite and use constructive criticism. If you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face in real life, then you definitely shouldn’t say it on the Internet. Plus, it’s out there forever, people never let you forget.
- Be timely.
- This is something I often fall victim to especially when I’m at school. If you promise to post a review on a certain day or within a certain time frame, try your best to do it. Or, if you can’t, let the author/publisher know that you won’t be able to (again, this goes back to the idea of common courtesy).
- Don’t start book blogging just to get free ARC’s/books.
- Sometimes I feel that a lot of the lure of the book blogging community is to get free books/ARC’s which is always nice, but don’t start blogging just to do that. For me, I started blogging because I wanted a place to talk about books and bookish things and be able to meet people all over the world (and I have which is so awesome!)
- Don’t freak out!
- I know when I first started blogging I had a lot of panic over whether or not people would read/like my blog, if I was even blogging “right” (looking back that was such a dumb thought. There’s no write or wrong way to blog!) and just a multitude of other anxieties. Make your own rules and have fun with it! Don’t go with the flow, review obscure titles, and most of all have TONS of fun (otherwise what’s the point?)
7 Replies to “#BookBlogWriMo – Day 12”
I am a newbie blogger trying so hard to be apart of the community! I am dying to talk about books, but so far people have only liked my post.
Welcome to the community! I just subscribed to your blog by the way 🙂
Thank you it is starting out as a blog for my university class, so for the next 2-3 weeks I can only be posting on Wednesdays but after my post will be more frequent! I hope you will feel free to comment and talk to post!!!
Eep! I’m excited to see what is to come on your blog! Good luck!
Great advice! I made a point about being nice too. I think that’s the most important thing. Just be nice to people, the rest will sort itself out. Cool post, yoda! 😉
[…] November 12: Advice for Newbie Bloggers […]
“Be timely.” The struggle, oh it is so real!