Discussion: The DaVinci Code “YA adaption”/An Open Letter to Dan Brown

Put yourself in my shoes: you’ve just woken up. You’re reading your emails over breakfast, and you see one from Penguin Random House. “Cool!” you think. Maybe there’s going to be a new book out!

You continue reading, you see that The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown is being “adapted” into a YA novel, essentially turning it into an abridged version of the modern day book many people know and love, and that has sold over 82 million copies since it’s publication in 2003.

By now your breakfast is forgotten because you’re sitting there wondering, why am I being patronized this early in the morning? Am I not allowed to read adult fiction because I like to read YA? Is YA so clearly disrespected by adults that we have to have things brought down to our level?

jonah_the-f

I’m going to be honest though, initially I didn’t think a whole lot of it, but after thinking about it more and more, that’s really disheartening. Are people still seeing YA readers as an audience that can’t handle complex writing/thinking? If so, let’s throw out all the required reading we have to do in schools because that stuff is TOUGH. Have you tried reading Shakespeare (as a 14-18 year old) without having to Sparknotes what the hell those people are even saying? For the one person who probably raised their hand, fine, but the rest of us, it’s a struggle.

So, I’ve decided to compile a list of 10 books you should pick up instead of The DaVinci Code (a lot stemming from required reading I had to do in school that I’m sure is VASTLY more advanced and “adult” than The DaVinci Code).

37449 12996 11264999

• To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: this had to go at number one for obvious reasons. A literary classic and it was one of the first required reading books I 100% fell in love with
  • Othello by William Shakespeare: again, just a fantastic story that deals with a lot of different issues, including mixed race couples and murder! Oh the murder!
  • Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin: you want the most adult novel you can get? Pick this up. This may come as a shock to no one, but there’s a lot of fantastical elements in here. In a novel for adults.

332613 170448 5470

• One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey: Incredibly dark adult novel surrounding the treatment of mental asylum “inmates”. I was recommended to read this in 6th grade because I was at a 12th grade reading level. That’s right, Dan Brown, 6TH GRADE.
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell: Animals come to life and there’s political strife. Lot’s of dark themes, lot’s of not so subtle political commentary.
  • 1984 by George Orwell: See above, but probably ten times darker.

5129 231786 10836813

• Brave New World by Adulous Huxley: The utopian foil to 1984, but also with dark themes. It’s like the literary epitome of a Banksy art piece.
  • The Shining by Stephen King: King is the king of horror to me. This book is something you shouldn’t read at night. It is disturbing. Creepy kids, creepy dads, lot’s of screaming and blood. Read between the lines here, Dan Brown; ADULT THEMES.
  • The Time In Between by Maria Duenas: Surprise, another book with adult themes set in the middle of a war (but this one also has a really beautiful love story)

472331 5805

• And finally, Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbins: An ADULT graphic novel!? It won a Hugo award!? It’s not “meant for children”!? I’m aghast! So even graphic novels that are “meant for adults” can be enjoyed by YA audiences too.
  • Bonus! V for Vendetta is also extremely disturbing and is also meant for adults, but enjoyed BY ALL AGES.

So here’s my open letter to you Dan Brown; Yes, the YA community is often defined by individuals in an age range of about 13-19. But YA novels are also heavily consumed and loved by many other age groups, some of which you target your “adult” books towards. Do you think we are incapable of grasping concepts in The DaVinci Code that it has to be abridged and brought down to some lesser level for a younger audience? Or are you just going for the obvious cash grab that this entire promotion reeks of.

Unfortunately, as a YA reader, I won’t be picking up your new book, because I don’t need the patronizing stench of your writing anywhere near the more sophisticated authors books that I’ve purchased and lovingly put on my shelves. I’m even less inclined to pick up The DaVinci Code because I don’t want to support any of your enterprises, but I’m also torn because I want to read it and show that I, a clearly unsophisticated YA reader, can handle your writing (please refer to the list above of other authors who have superseded you).

If you had taken the time to write a YA series, I would have had no issue with purchasing a book like that. But when you drag the YA name and community through the mud in an effort to promote a piece of work that many of my friends have loved and enjoyed at a younger age than I am now writing this, then I ethically cannot support your enterprises.

Sincerely,

A YA lover, Paige.

P.S. I probably find more of your books at thrift stores than any other copy. Okay, maybe 50 Shades of Grey, which isn’t saying much.

Anyway, what do you all think of this? Agree, disagree? What are some adult novels you’ve read that you love? Let’s talk in the comments!

9 Replies to “Discussion: The DaVinci Code “YA adaption”/An Open Letter to Dan Brown”

1. I hadn’t heard that! You know, I was in high school when the book came out, and me and all pretty much everybody else tore through it like there was no tomorrow… I don’t think it needs a YA adaptation in the least.

1. Agreed! Sorry to inform Dan Brown of this, but YA’s are intelligent human beings. Shocker

2. I’ve read the The Da Vinci Code not once, but TWICE, and loved it both times. SHOCKING, RIGHT? How did my tiny young adult brain comprehend all the big words and puzzle pieces and historical facts? Blasphemy

1. Your comment just made my day! But seriously, what’s next? Asking Dan Brown for permission to read adult books? I can’t believe this nonsense.

3. This is so funny to me, because this is presented as the book being made easier and more stupid or whatever, when the original is literally not difficult at all. Dan Brown writes beach thrillers with two-dimensional characters. How can you make that even easier?

On a completely different note, I love Animal Farm! Such a wonderful book. 😃

4. Ooooh I love the recommendations! Honestly, I read more adult novels from middle school on than I do now. I was reading Danielle Steel in 5th grade. I’m pretty sure teens can handle it. We don’t give them enough credit.

1. We don’t! I find it hilarious that we’re supposed to make all these life decisions as teens, but then they don’t trust us to read a darn book.

5. Oh my God. All I could think while looking at the TOUGH and much more adult books you listed was BELOVED. I could not even with that book. Are they going to start making abridged versions of the classics? Are those going to be taught in high schools? I totally agree – this is patronizing!

6. Ugh! I cringed when I found out about this! I thought they were just doing a cover change to appeal to the YA audience BUT noooo! I was just furious when it was going to be an abridged version!

Heck, I read that book when I was a teen! And I understood it! I had no difficulty understanding it! I also read Angels and Demons right after that. And I also didn’t have any problems understanding it. What I don’t understand is the thought that the YA audience won’t get the “controversial” plot? Sigh* whose smart idea was this, anyway?! They need to get off their high horse and stop this nonsense!

Leave a Reply to Paige Cancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.